QCustomPlot Discussion and Comments

QCustomPlot still under development?Return to overview

I appears that there are no more updates on GitHub. Is this great tool still updated?

It is, the git repo only shows the public branches. Experiments and prototypes are not shown. The next release which will bring compatibility with the current Qt version as well as some feature additions (such as an experimental radial plot) and bugfixes will be pushed shortly!

Any plans to make development more visible so that there would be no need for people to ask such? I also pondered similar question when recently faced some minor issues with an algorithm not compiling with QCPDataContainer because the container is missing cbegin()/cend() and const-versions of begin()/end() even though it has constBegin() and constEnd(). It was rather unsuccessful to try to find issue tracker, way of submitting patches or recent activity to check if such would have been already added to (possible) new versions.

Any news on the release of the next version? I'm currently working on a project with Qt5.14 and getting more and more deprecation warnings and came across this forum post.

Manu, gibt es noch Hoffnung für uns, dass Qt 6 unterstützt wird?
Leider werden die Meldungen häufiger und dringlicher.

Hey Tomax_63,
The next minor release 2.1.0 due in a few days will bring compatibility with the latest Qt5 release. After checking how much changes must be made to also include Qt6 for the first time, it might also expand to do that (I've read the step from the last Qt5 and Qt6 isn't as breaking as Qt4 to 5 was, so there's a good chance)

That is great news! Looking forward to playing with the updated version.

Looking forward too. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello Manu

Are there any news concerning an update? I am sadly blocked in my development.

Best wishes

Thomas

Hey Manu

"The next minor release 2.1.0 due in a few days will bring compatibility with the latest Qt5 release."

Could you let us know how many days are "a few"?

We are really desperately awaiting your brilliant work again.

Thomas

It's a pity to see the development status causing so much uncertainty. Not least because I've had to do some tweaks to get QCustomPlot compile with Qt6, and while it was done in hacky manner just get it compiled, it was enough to give an impression that porting it properly even to Qt6 wouldn't probably be a big task - any fixes for newer Qt5 might be almost cosmetic. And given how pleased I've been with the capabilities of QCustomPlot, had there been any indication that contributions would be needed or welcome, there's a good chance that updates could have been progressed with external help.

The code is GPL, anyone can fork the code in https://gitlab.com/DerManu/QCustomPlot/-/forks and if they were so inclined could take on the effort of developing the new code. The truth is though, it is a lot of work and most people contributing to OSS are people doing so in their free time.

I blame Qt more than anyone for the current situation. Pulling the rug out from everyone developing OSS on QT and forcing everyone to QT 6 was a real jerk move. It take a lot of time to get these libraries updated by people who are already stressed enough from their day jobs.